Welcome to the
South Bristol Historical Society
May 18, 7pm. —Hotels and Boarding Houses of South Bristol. This is a presentation by the students of South Bristol Elementary who have been under the direction of teacher and SBHS Trustee Jason Bigonia, as well as Trustee Dave Andrews. A display of hotel artifacts will be included. Location: South Bristol Elementary School.
June 11, 10 - 12 noon—Cemetery walk at Old Walpole Meeting House. Located one half mile south of the split of Rte 129 and Rte 130. The cemetery is across from the Walpole Meeting House, a short distance down an unpaved road, bounded by stonewalls on the left.
July 13, 6:30pm —Historical Society Annual General Meeting, followed by a talk about the South Bristol fishing industry. At Union Church Parish Hall.
The Town of South Bristol, Maine
"The old and historic town of Bristol named for Bristol, England, is one of the oldest towns in Maine, being the 20th of near 700 towns and plantations in the state. It was incorporated in 1765, fifty five years before the separation of Maine from Massachusetts and is older than the national government."
"South Bristol was made a separate town by act of Legislature in 1915 and separated from the town of Bristol. The new town is bounded as follows, beginning at north side of Prentiss Island on Damariscotta River, running east with north side of Prentiss line to an ash tree in the fork of the road. Theron south to the east branch of Foster's Cove so-called at the head of John's Bay, thereon southerly and westerly following the shores of John's Bay, Rutherford's Island, Atlantic Ocean, and Damariscotta River to the point of beginning, including all adjacent islands formerly belonging to Bristol."
(From "A Short History of South Bristol, Maine," by Nelson W Gamage, circa 1920)